Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

Laughter

Laughter...

It takes all forms...I remember this worker at House of Fabrics when I was a kid that my siblings and I would (to our shame) try to mimic and make fun of her laugh because it sounded more like a Model T having difficulty starting rather than a normal laugh. To us, that was the funniest thing in the world until finally, someone told us if we kept mimicking her, we may end up with the same laugh. As a kid, that was a solemn thought.

Anyways, that little bunny trail was more for your entertainment than what this post is really about.

As you know, the accident has left David with lots of body parts that don't work right. Most of the time it's just plain frustrating and aggravating that they won't just cooperate.  His left side, especially, doesn't pull its weight. When he's on heavy pain meds, they just plain quit working.  Today one of his body parts was not doing what it was supposed to. Instead of being discouraged about it, David started making wry comments about it and we just started chuckling. It felt so good to just laugh and just not worry about stuff.

The chiropractor David has been seeing for a few weeks has started him on a diet. This diet is similar to what people are calling a Paleo diet - supposedly what cavemen ate. Anyways, he can't have grains, sugar, fruit except for berries, avocados, Granny Smith apples, lemons and limes, moderate proteins, no root vegetables like carrots or potatoes, and minimal legumes.  He is supposed to do this diet for two weeks and then ease up a little.  Now I like to cook and bake a lot but this diet sort of takes the wind out of my sails. It's very time consuming because basically everything in a can or package have sugar, grains or starch in them so EVERYTHING has to be from scratch. If you know David, you know that, especially on the road as a lineman, his diet consisted of gallons of coffee, donuts, gas station fare, crunchy tacos from Taco Bell and a V-8 here and there to get his "vegetables" . :)  This diet is killing him. Tonight, we'd had it and majorly cheated. I stopped staring at Pinterest recipes for cauliflower pizza crusts and avocado-based grasshopper pie and loaded us up into our van.  We pigged out at a pizza buffet, stuffing our faces with so much carbs and sugar. It was glorious!  We were just grinning all night.

Laughter makes a day seem alright even when you have a toddler testing the limits of your coronary arteries by playing in rat poison, hand sanitizer and climbing to the highest perches of her bedroom to nap.

1 comment:

  1. I have been on that diet, except worse since September. I have moaned a lot about it, especially during the holidays, but I've learned to cook everything from scratch and I'm getting used to it. I confess that I occasionally cheat with organic meatballs and salmon burger patties. It's a test of character for sure, but in the end, it helps to heal our guts and brains. Since the gut is our second brain it can only do good. Laughter and smiles sure do a body and soul good too. My children appreciate their food so much more after being on this diet with me for 6 months and they have amazing accepting attitudes, happily turning down candy and treats all of the time. Oh, to be a kid and adapt so easily. I have seen my youngest be mostly healed of his health issues through the diet and my older son and I are still working on ours. Raw fermented foods are the best for healing the gut. I need to eat so much more of them. I will pray for patience through your many trials.

    ReplyDelete